Sunday, August 14, 2005

Week 3.1 - Tourist Town and Boots Heaven


After spending days in confinement of the hotel room and acquainting myself too well with the hotel room service menu, I decided I need to venture outside to see what else Dallas had on offer.

So Sunday night, I drove myself down to where all the tourists were - The Westend Historic District.

The Westend distrinct is near the famous grassy knoll where President Kennedy's motorcade was passing when he got assassinated in 1963. Around the corner is the Book repository where the assassin actually took the shot from. It has been turned into a museum dedicated to JFK of course (which I still haven't been to and will try this weekend).

After being in Dallas for 2 weeks and not having seen any tumbleweed, cowboys or saloons, I actually felt quite content to find the Westend village which houses all the typical souvenir shops. It reminded me of the Asian- operated souvenir shops along Swanston St. back in Melbourne.

OH one shop had cowboy hats up to the ceiling and a corner full of cowgirl boots in all the colours you could imagine - I was in BOOTS HEAVEN (look at that chair too)!!

A cheap pair of boots would have actually set you back around USD$299 (and that's just the plain ones). NO kidding!! They were supposed to be hand-crafted individually.

Wow. Ok, even if I had no intention of buying a pair, I would at least have to try a pair on. They were actually very comfortable! If I ever bought a pair, would I ever have the opportunity to wear them back at home...?!?! Probably not. But oh just look at them... There MUST be a places where it would be cheaper...


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! boot fetish! :P

8/21/2005 9:27 PM  
Blogger uncle_zero said...

but but but ... no tumbleweed? i swear i saw one roll by in front of me one night somewhere in arizona ... ^__^

8/25/2005 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home