Saturday, August 20, 2005

Week 3.5 - Sambuca and Jazz

No, not Sambuca the drink, Sambuca is a restuarant.



It was Friday and I was feeling very tired. My options were to go home and sleep, or go out somewhere. I felt I owed it to myself to go out for a bit of fun, after such a busy week at work.

I tried to look up a jazz club place that someone recommended to me earlier but that was actually closed! A bit more searching and I ended up booking myself for dinner at this restuarant uptown called Sambuca. On the web it said that live jazz bands plays there every night. Sounded good.

As per normal, I drove myself there with the aid of HANA (after I swore at it a few more times and ignored a few of its comebacks). Sambuca was a very "swanky" resturants. There was a long queue of cars (you know, your "normal" BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar type of cars) waiting for the valet parking out front, with a lot of nicely dressed people walking about. Luckily I decided to put in a bit of effort and didn't just go with my usual t-shirt and denim.

My table was right out the front near the stage where the band "B and the Buzz" was performing. It was like getting a front row seat at a concert really. I was immediately happy about my decision to come out (easy for me to take photos... haa haa).

My guess? "B" is the guy playing the electric guitar and doing the singing and "the Buzz" were the others accompanying him. B looked exactly like Robert Neniro with a long beard who had gained 30kg of weight.

Music was great! People were tapping their feet along and some even decided to stand up and do a bit of dancing (this one couple in particular was dancing up a ball and people actually clapped for them as well as the band).


At the server's recommendation, I ordered an caremel apple martini and the house special for dinner (which is Mahi Mahi fillet on 4oz of lobster meat, with a mango and 3 colour bell pepper salad drizzled with olive oil and vinegrette sauce and not on the menu).



Oh YUMMMMMM... That martini was devine. And the fish was lovely too.

And to finish it all off, a hazelnut eissouffle for dessert. Well I am pretty new to the world of fine-dining so when I first looked I thought souffle, as in your normal souffle. But I asked the server and he said "eis"-souffle is actually a German dish and is more like an ice-cream but made with souffle ingredients.

Well pardon me for not knowing better! He said it is always a hit with customer especially of the hot weather. WELL hey, it doesn't get any hotter than Dallas right now so I ordered that. It was nice a rich, I am not sure I could handle so much cream and sugar, but it wasn't a bad dessert for a hot day.

I sat and listened to the band for another half an hour and only left when they took a break (their breaks are slightly long, like half an hour). But it was a thoroughly enjoyable night out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's obvious you're dining on expenses! :)

8/22/2005 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is caramel apple martini?
Martini + apple juice + a bit of caramel? Or is it apple flavoured martini?

Sounds yummmm..... *drool*

8/22/2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger Chinese Cowgirl said...

Boy is it really THAT obvious this is all "on-da-house"? haa haa. Well I don't do it every day... =P

Caramel apple martini - martini with apple liquer in a caramel sauce-dressed martini glass (you can see the caremel stripes on the glass in my picture). And you are absolutely correct - YUM YUM YUM.

8/22/2005 9:29 PM  
Blogger Winnie said...

That dinner sounds and looks really good! You're lucky you don't change color and temperature with the drink.

Ummm ... mango salsa ... (in homer simpson voice)

8/22/2005 11:10 PM  
Blogger Chinese Cowgirl said...

What do you mean? I turn red like a tomato after each drink, but it was worth going red for :)

8/24/2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home