Sunday, August 21, 2005

Week 3.6 - X marks the spot

Saturday afternoon in Dallas, sun is glaring as usual.

I stopped by the Tourist Information Center in town - partly because it was a very cool looking building (it is known as the "Old Red Courthouse" and looks like a castle from the outside), and also because the air-con was VERY cool inside. I knew of a historic trolley that ran from town to West Village (these trollies were like the city circle trams in Melbourne) and thought it might be nice to try to catch one.


I was informed by the nice man at the Info Center that yes, they run and come by every half an hour or so but he didn't know how late into the evening they ran. There was no way I was going to stand out in that Texan sun for half an hour - I would have evaporated by then. So didn't matter, I went across the road to the 6th floor museum, dedicated to President JFK instead. Well you couldn't go there without going to the much talked about grassy knoll either!!

So off I went - very easy to find because that's where all the tourists and hasslers were. Now let me just explain to you the location of the grassy knoll. It is really a fenced off area behind the patch of lawn that embanked 1 of the 3 underpasses that lead in and out of Dallas city center.

I kept seeing people running out to the middle of the road to take pictures and I wondered why. On closer inspection, there was actually a red "X" on the ground in one of the 4 lanes of this particular road (near the middle). That's where President JFK got shot when his motocade passed! Well how can you resist? If X marked the spot, what else could you do but to go to the spot? However this was dangerous, because cars could be travelling down that lane anytime when the light turned green like just up the road!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home